Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Big Sleep


This was an interesting movie to start out the second semester, one that I actually liked in many aspects as well. As we begin the unit on Film Noir, I am excited to see what other movies there are that are considered this type because I liked this type of setting and environment. I like the darkened, paceful, stormy feel during a movie and these movies tend to stay in that style. The Big Sleep was one of those movies. With the whole Film Noir going on, The Big Sleep helped show me not only more about the style but more about film itself.

There was one thing that distracted me a bit, and I hope it is not common in these films. Like most of the viewers of this movie, I could not follow all of the storylines. When I thought I figured out one of them, another one popped into the story and the one I had been trying to figure out was never really solved and stated. This really bothered me because I had a hard time following the movie, but it did allow me to focus on more of what a Film Noir movie is. I easily related this movie and this type of movie to the German Expressionism movies. Like the German Expressionist movies, the storylines were hard to totally figure out and the environment remained the same; it just seemed like these directors had more green to put into the movie. Overall, though, like I mentioned, I like this low-key and black and white style of films, especially when a lot just seems to be fitting perfect.

Obviously, my likes outweighed my dislikes for The Big Sleep. At first, I wasn't a fan and not because it wasn't color but because I couldn't seem to get into the movie and focus on the theme. Once I put interest into it, I realized that what was showing was pretty neat, although the storyline was way out of whack. This is a prime example of a time when I wish directors and writers would've written down about each movie they worked on what exactly everything was all about. While I do like to watch a movie and try to interpret it myself, this movie was nearly impossible to do so. Another thing I realized in these Film Noir movies is there similarity to German Expressionist movies in the introducing of actual film technique. Since these movies were made back then as well when film technique was coming out, it is interesting to see it being used as comparison to later films that we have watched.

There were two things that were without a doubt my favorite. One of them is obvious - the environment and atmosphere of the movie. The way the movie went about was so smooth, excluding the storyline, and the flow was so excellent inside of the surrounding figures and things. The other thing was without a doubt the actors and actresses. These people were great. While they worked around a complex subject, they made the movie that much better. Both Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall were perfect fit for the role that was played. Doing exactly what they needed to do to pull off their part in a Film Noir movie, they are the main reasons, along with the first favorite, that I like these types of movies.

The ending, well, was your typical ending and needed to come before my brain blew up trying to figure out what was exactly going on, but The Big Sleep was a great movie to start off the semester and the Film Noir unit. In regards to a movie I found interesting and actually comical at times, I am curious to see more similar to it in the category.


-Kevin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home